Account Managers (AM) keep the customer – and the agency — satisfied. They are responsible for managing an array of accounts and act as client experts. AM’s will maintain the client relationship on a daily basis and be aware of the client’s industry, their products, their strengths/weaknesses, their brand and thus will be the frontline in upselling existing accounts with applicable services. Account Managers work directly with the project managers to ensure client project success. AMs are the direct point of contact to the client. They are the client’s voice and representation within an agency.
Account managers are oriented externally. Their focus is to help clients grow their businesses with the help of the agency’s resources. The agency’s internal operations are less of concern for them; they’re primarily advocates for the client. Their job is to communicate both good and bad news to a client with tact and aplomb, answer questions, and make certain they receive what the client asked for as part of their agency contractual agreement.
Own client expertise
- Expert on client’s business model, marketplace, competitors * Responsible for managing several accounts and often being the face of the company to many clients.
- Championing the customer/client at all levels internally and overseeing project managers as it relates to their accounts.
- Feeding back all suggestions for improvement and market research to relationship managers.
- AM to assist in scoping new deals.
- Involved in the selling process of new clients and seamlessly able to pick up client onboarding once client deal is signed.
- Facilitate hand off between sales and Project Management team.
- Responsible for detailed note transfer to PM and owns prospect to client journey.
Day to day client management
- Coordinate project related scope changes.
- Manage new project requests from existing/past clients. This would include anything from a brochure, marketing plan, website edit, etc. The AM would run the communication and fact finding for the need.
- Mitigate proposal questions
- Escalate and resolve areas of concern as raised by clients.
- Communicate and mitigate project shifts or delays when it comes to promised timeline and deliverables
- Analyze current client marketing efforts and suggest improvements. Interact with internal marketing director to identify areas of opportunity
- Lead monthly account reviews including monthly marketing reports and project status updates
- Call client weekly / bi-weekly / monthly to get a pulse on project progress and satisfaction.
- Inform clients about company products, services and promotions.
Support of client relationship post launch
- Hosting and Support Contract Initiation
- Post Launch Services Introduction (SEO, SEM, Support, other projects)
WordPress training would be a plus
Ask Clients for reviews
- Minimum 1 year in Account Manager role in an agency-type setting
- Familiar with website design and launch processes and terminology
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Able to finesse delicate client relationships.
- Able to balance the client’s needs, wants and priorities, and the agency’s bottom line. AM’s play a crucial role in client retention as well as potentially bringing in new business as part of an existing client referral process.
- Diplomatic and compassionate – they know when to push and when to let things simmer.
- Strong but non-aggressive leadership style.
- Collaborative approach to issues and generally team minded.
- Account managers are salespeople, strategists, creatives, and have an excellent grasp of business. They must be strong communicators, highly social, and highly available. Good analytical, sales, and financial skills are a big plus.